Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

GreySynth

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: GreySynth

Postby tulamide » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 am

Don't forget, those are just typical causes, not the only possible causes. So, if they can be eliminated, the real work can be done. Since your PC is pretty advanced, it may be overclocked. Do you know about that? It is also a possible cause for such behaviour.

As far as I understand, you took care of everything but RAM testing. The quasi industry standard for testing RAM is MemTest86. You download an image that you can prepare a USB stick with, then you start from that stick (alternatively you can also burn a CD and start from that CD).
Here's the link to the website of MemTest86: https://www.memtest86.com/
(And don't feel intimidated. I checked your mainboard, and its UEFI Bios is just fine to use with v5.x)

Windows comes with its own tool as well, but it isn't nearly as precise. However, for completeness I mention it. You would open the start menu then type "mdsched.exe". It wants you to reboot, which you should do. After the test (its just a short one) your PC boots back to Windows. If you couldn't see exactly what the diagnosis concluded, you can view the results by checking the "event viewer".

When RAM is just fine, you culd try to remove parts of the schematic, until it doesn't crash anymore. This way you can isolate the issue. if there is any. But do those tests with 3.0.6, please.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:41 am

This is a long shot, but I guess it’s what we need now. :?

Here is your installed path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DSPRobotics\FlowStone307\FlowStone.exe

When I tested on my x64 partition I dragged my whole FlowStone folder from my C: drive to the D: drive where Win 7 x64 is installed.

But the path I tested with was different to yours and it worked:

C:\Program Files\DSPRobotics\FlowStone\FlowStone.exe

A question: Do you have any other version of Flowstone on your system, like the FS4 alpha for example?

When Flowstone 3.xx is installed it writes stuff to the registry and especially important is the path to the installation folder. If the registry is pointing somewhere else you may be picking up a wrong Ruby version or other library. The crash might only happen when an entry point is called which is not available and so leads to an attempt at running erroneous code.

Like I say, a long shot…

Good luck

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank-you Gentlemen.

On my first cup of coffee ... but just to mention:

Computer is running stock speed [no over-clocking ... though I have considered trying that ... but stability is a priority].

I do have 3 versions of FS. 3.04, 3.06, 3.07. They each are located on C:\Program Files (x86)\DSPRobotics in separate Folders. [pretty sure this is the Default installation location].

When I first upgraded to 3.06 [keeping both versions installed], I had an issue. I think it was SPOGG that pointed me to a 'Registry Switcher' script [can't think of Author's name]. That worked great.

In fact, I used that to test the schematic in question in the various versions ... but they each crashed before the main FS workspace even opened up. [directly to the Message box and Crash Log option].

Meantime ... I'll get to the RAM checkers [thanks T]

more coffee ...
RJHollins

Postby Spogg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:40 pm

It’s absolutely vital that the Install Folder in the registry is correct.

Open Regedit and locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/DSPROBOTICS/FlowStone/Install Folder
And look at the path in the key data.

The key MUST point to the version you’re using. You can edit the path if you need to and save it.

Of course I agree it could be a faulty RAM cell. I had that once but lots of stuff went wrong.

Good luck and enjoy that coffee!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Spogg wrote:It’s absolutely vital that the Install Folder in the registry is correct.

Open Regedit and locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/DSPROBOTICS/FlowStone/Install Folder
And look at the path in the key data.

The key MUST point to the version you’re using. You can edit the path if you need to and save it.

Of course I agree it could be a faulty RAM cell. I had that once but lots of stuff went wrong.

Good luck and enjoy that coffee!

Spogg

Thanks Spogg ... used Regedit. Key Data does point to my install location.

note: need to go out and buy a USB stick :roll:
RJHollins

Postby billv » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:22 pm

RJ: You may have missed the last post on page 3...please double-check.
billv

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:12 am

billv wrote:
tulamide wrote:
RJHollins wrote:caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

Typical causes for this specific error are:

Faulty RAM
    Corrupt Video Card Drivers
    A Virus
    Registry corruption

Thanks for your input tulamide.

RJ; are you aware of "sfc /scannow",...
The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

I used it before and it worked great..Google it to learn more.
By the way...I'm sorry I bugged your life with a "gremlin" schematic... :)

Ah yes ... thanks for reminding.

I'll run that tonite. 8-)
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 am

OK ... ran the CMD sfc /scannow app.

CMD - results.jpg
CMD - results.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 13883 times

Result ... No integrity violations.

Still need to purchase a USB stick to do the RAM test.
RJHollins

Postby Spogg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 am

I mention this with some embarrassment because I’m certain you’ll have tried it. But for anyone else following this topic it might help them at some point.

The Recovery folder has to be empty:

C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Roaming\FlowStone\Recovery

In the past I’ve had it where something corrupt gets lodged in there and causes FlowStone to crash.

All versions of FlowStone use the same Appdata path, so changing the installed version won’t remove the fault.

You could also backup and rename the Appdata FlowStone folder and then try a fresh install. It’s easy to restore it afterwards.

I can also teach you to suck eggs, Grandma! :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Spogg wrote:The Recovery folder has to be empty:

C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Roaming\FlowStone\Recovery

In the past I’ve had it where something corrupt gets lodged in there and causes FlowStone to crash.
All versions of FlowStone use the same Appdata path, so changing the installed version won’t remove the fault.

Spogg

Well, I learned something new ... did not know about this.

I checked the Recovery Folder, and it is Empty.

Thanks Spogg 8-)
RJHollins

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples