Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

How to make Flowstone send PC keyboard key-press commands?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How to make Flowstone send PC keyboard key-press commands?

Postby keyjslider1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Dear Sirs,

by default the Flowstone reacts to PC keybord key-press messages by means of standard prim "Is Key Pressed".
Is there the way to perform the opposite operation (like with MIDI Message prim) - to send (emulate) specific key-pressed messages out of Flowstone, in my case, to the DAW host?
My need is to emulate "Home" key pressure command to send out of Flowstone to activate/reset FL Studio mixer channel position.
I guess there might be neccessary to address to external API32 application?

Would very much appreciate someone to share ideas and possibly, the code examples.... Thanks in advance.
keyjslider1

Re: How to make Flowstone send PC keyboard key-press command

Postby tulamide » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am

This belongs to "General", as it is not at all about DSP ;)

I never used it myself, so I don't have Ruby code for you, but what you need is from the Windows API

SendMessage (with the WM_KEYUP or WM_KEYDOWN message)
Windows Dev Center link

However, the function expects a handle to the window that will receive the message, which will require you to find out that handle. I'm a little lost on that topic, maybe somebody else can help with that?

Moderator comment: I've moved this to General. Now why didn't I spot that it was in the wrong sub-forum? Too old.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: How to make Flowstone send PC keyboard key-press command

Postby keyjslider1 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 pm

tulamide wrote:This belongs to "General", as it is not at all about DSP ;)
I never used it myself, so I don't have Ruby code for you, but what you need is from the Windows API...
Moderator comment: I've moved this to General. Now why didn't I spot that it was in the wrong sub-forum? Too old.

Tulamide thank you, SendKey and SenMessage do not work out of Flowstone as a FLStudio plugin, but Postmessage works fine. For my purpose I used keybd_event command, I didn't need finding out the window handle because the target window was always on top when the desired code had to be applied. I used the following code to send "Home" key in order to reset the FL's mixer position^
require "Win32API"
g=Win32API.new("user32","keybd_event", ['i','i','p','i'])
g.call(36,0,0,0)
g.call(36,0,'KEYEVENTF_KEYUP',0)
keyjslider1

Return to General