Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Can't open a COM Port. (Solved)

For general discussion related FlowStone

Can't open a COM Port. (Solved)

Postby mockba » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi there,

Maybe I am missing something here, but for some reason I can't open a COM port using Flowstone.
Did anyone ever experience this?

I have a USB->UART LCD Module from Sure Electronics connected to my laptop, wich ended up on COM11, but every time I open Flowstone, when I try to connect to the port I first get "Failed to set configuration for port" then it changes to "Com11:Failed" and stays like this every time I try to open it.
If I connect to the module using Putty it works fine, so I guess the COM11 and the module are working fine.
I have tried also a serial adapter on my office's laptop, this time on COM5, same thing.
Also I have a modem on both laptops, both on COM3, same thing.
So either I am doing something wrong or something is broken.
I have searched the forum and I see people also having the same problem, but the conversations usually move towards other subjects and nobody seems to give a direct answer for any of these questions:

1 - Does a COM port higher than COM1 work on Flowstone?
2 - Is there any special configuration to use a COM port higher than COM1?

I am just using the standard 9600-8-n-1 on the COM module, nothing fancy here.

Please let me know if anyone here has had any degree of success on this.

Thanks a lot,
Marcelo.
Last edited by mockba on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mockba

Re: Can't open a COM Port.

Postby DSP » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 am

I've used lot's of different com ports with FlowStone with no problems (Com5-Com10). Also different devices, some USB-COM port adapters, some Relay boards with the FTDI chip etc.

One silly thing I did was set the Stop bits wrong as on the Comport module it an Int in so:

0 = 1
1 = 1.5
2 = 2
DSP

Re: Can't open a COM Port.

Postby mockba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 am

See? I knew it should be something dumb I was doing ...

:oops:
mockba

Return to General