Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

AHDSR into an AHD

For general discussion related FlowStone

AHDSR into an AHD

Postby R&R » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:42 pm

Someone here told me to post my fsm's despite them being junk. Suit yourself :mrgreen: ;)
(and by junk I mean "my own" mods/adaptations or utilization of other ppls stuff, not their original modules :lol: )

Finally got to switching out my toolbox ADSR's for the ADSR (asm) with exponential decay/release inside my newbie synth.
I guess the usual suspect author of the AHDSR (asm) i'm posting here is MV :lol: Are your guilty MV?
Please let me know for sure so I can replace the file posted here... for one with the correct credits/comments inside the AHDSR module.

Why duct tape?
I just wanted an AHD to complement my ADSR's... but with exponential decay/release and selectable smooth retriggering. So I did the only thing I could... MacGyver:ed it of course :P

Seems to work, don't know for sure yet.

Performance wise... apart from the unnecessary stages in the asm (unused by AHD?). Maybe the asm gate snippet seems a bit unnecessary operation too. Maybe one can get a true for Poly's duration from something else?
One thing of many that could be improved I suppose, is altering the "asm AHDSR retrigger module" at some point to remove the extra stage stuff? so it works more like the now utilized original toolbox "DSP AHD retrigger module". Or... if someone desides to write... or already has written... an entirely new AHD in ASM :lol:

Edit #1:
The dezipper for unused sustain is probably redundant also... :roll:

Edit #2:
The AHD was actually broken since it never ends. Will try to fix it :?

Edit #3:
Hopefully fixed. See my MacGyvered version 2 of AHD posted below...
Last edited by R&R on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.
R&R

Re: AHDSR into an AHD

Postby R&R » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:59 pm

Naturally...
The wanted behaviour can be observed if activating smooth retrigger on new AHD and firing a new note during ongoing attack stage and also during decays.
R&R

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:04 am

I don’t know why you call it “junk”! It’s a perfectly good demo schematic in my eyes.

I’m very much a pragmatist, so if something works, does what I want and is reliable then I’m happy. Sometimes I get suggestions from friends here showing better ways to do stuff. One example that comes to mind is when I made a polyphonic random value-per-note module in a synth and Adam showed me a much better way. Apart from being more elegant and simpler, it used much less CPU.

I had a quick look at the envelopes and yours seems to work fine, so I can’t think of any useful comment, but maybe I missed the point.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:17 am

Mmmm... Lets call some of it prototypes instead :D (me: secretly whispering "junk" to myself)

Spogg wrote:I’m very much a pragmatist, so if something works, does what I want and is reliable then I’m happy. Sometimes I get suggestions from friends here showing better ways to do stuff.

Alot of it is OCD from my part :D I kind of know what I wan't but can't yet (and don't have the time right now to learn) how to realize it :) makes me feel lazy
Demons that come from me having done relatively advanced stuff in other enviroments and or programming languages some time ago.

Spogg wrote:One example that comes to mind is when I made a polyphonic random value-per-note module in a synth and Adam showed me a much better way. Apart from being more elegant and simpler, it used much less CPU.

And that's when purposeful intention turns it to gold... :)

But you, Adam... and MV are aliens to start with so :lol: that's an unfair comparison LOL

Looking at your schematics Spogg, it's often done with intention. And that's the difference since my schematics however is always extremely arbitrary in contrast :lol:

Spogg wrote:I had a quick look at the envelopes and yours seems to work fine, so I can’t think of any useful comment, but maybe I missed the point.

Just sharing and thinking out loud...
Going to try and look closer at that retrigger asm. The goal (edit: by keeping it all "asm") is to make it draw less CPU than the toolbox AHD, despite being exponential and with extra functionality of smooth retriggering.
Last edited by R&R on Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:58 pm

I keep trying to make synth sounds on my newbie plugin...

But, it only seems to produce airplanes and early 90s PC racing game sounds :P

Must be something with the envelopes.

8-)
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm

I was however reminded of a phenomena...

Hardly the first time encountering it, and probably most of you have also heard or used the resulting effect?

Certain detunings and compositions of waves (in this case "saw") create a hint of chior sound. Nothing new there.
But... ran through a reverb this composition becomes a very chior:ish reverb tail... and by chance, placing for example Spogg's Quilcom M2S effect plugin in between amplifies this even further.

Example 1 and Example 2
Yes. Sorry for insulting your ears by raw recording of me playing live on my mini-laptops qwerty keyboard. It can't even play some keys at the same time, and I don't even play piano so... deal with it! 8-) :P

Somewhat interresting...
Very curious if anyone has looked into creating chior sounds using some kind if reverb:ish processing?
R&R

Postby R&R » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:56 am

So nobody experimented with embedding some kind of feedbackloops similar to reverbs before filters, envelopes etc?
batman-thinking.gif
batman-thinking.gif (31.5 KiB) Viewed 28292 times

Hmmm... Well, I guess delay (attack) would be a problem though :?

Anyways... Second try. Hopefully last :oops:
Here is the AHD (from AHDSR) envelope again with original retrigger asm, but with lines commented away...

Got rid of the asm snippet as gate and instead use the correct gate. Using the envelope output to finish retrigger code.

Was hoping it would draw even less cpu when retrigger was reverted back to it's original asm.
AHDSR envelope asm is much more complex and would need to be rewritten as AHD to be faster than AHD DSP.
But... this is still nice though. Atleast doesn't feel as dirty as when using any DSP :D

Hopefully! the AHD works :roll: someone else can maybe test also...

Thanks! to MV (likely author) or whoever created the original assemblified AHDSR 8-) Let me know so I can add a definite "Martin comment" in the file in that case. Or maybe you can add it Rex, if you know...
Attachments
AHDSR_into_AHD_w_smooth_retrig_2.fsm
(27.24 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
Last edited by R&R on Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
R&R

Postby R&R » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:08 am

:geek:
One thing I noticed is that DSP seem to have the advantage (or drawback, depending on usage) of not keeping poly channel open despite a held note. This might save voices in some circumstances / usage cases...
R&R

Postby R&R » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah I forgot. For others completely new to FS... or newbies like me :oops:

If for whatever reason anyone wants the Toolbox AHD but with exponential decay and easily switchable to linear as well. Here it is...

Adjust exponent by just adding/removing multipliers in extra module (edit: or use MV's "a^x Power Approximation" module for dynamic exponent).

Or... why not copy the extra module, place in series, modify it to gate at appropriate stage, and use the same method for additional adjustment of attack.

Keeping extra module in Poly is a good thing for minimal performance hit... I guess.
Attachments
AHDSR_into_AHD_w_smooth_retrig_3.fsm
(27.73 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
R&R

Postby R&R » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:56 pm

R&R wrote:But, it only seems to produce airplanes and early 90s PC racing game sounds

cruisin_to_the_supermarket.jpg
cruisin_to_the_supermarket.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 28220 times

And yes. It did come from my "synth"... or whatever the heck it is. I'm starting to get confused :? :lol:

Just load the preset:
MuscleCar-Saguaro_one_preset.zip
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 833 times
...in my latest version plugin (atleast for now) and crank those revs with control knob C1 :mrgreen:
R&R

Next

Return to General