Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

AHDSR into an AHD

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: AHDSR into an AHD

Postby Tepeix » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:56 pm

Thanks, it's very cool interesting sound and cool design ;)
That strange but i make time to see the most obvious knob in yellow.

At first i was not seeing what do the feedback , also it seams to not deactivate the knob when trying.
Then switching to ADSR, it become a favorite toy !) Not sure what it really does but i like the chaos it makes ;)
Tepeix

Postby R&R » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:45 pm

:D
It might be a bug in the version I sent you... if you aren't able to deactivate the feedback knob or other "yellow LED" knobs. But it can also just be another source activated, that is forcing feedback to stay activated.
Most presets are broken in the beta version right now and have to be redone...

Tepeix wrote:Then switching to ADSR, it become a favorite toy !) Not sure what it really does but i like the chaos it makes

The 5 envelopes can be switched. The ADSR and AHD work same as the toolbox envelopes... :)
I wanted mostly knobs instead of sliders or dragable spline curves... also didn't want AHDSR's. I think ADSR/AHD combo gives just the right amount of flexibility.

The only thing missing regarding envelopes is maybe velocity modulation of envelopes attack etc. I tested using this in Spoggs different synths and it's a very nice feature. Have to look into that possibility later... It also costs CPU so... :roll: haven't used this in any own my own patches in my real hardware synths. But I image the factory presets probably uses it if it's available in the synth.
R&R

Postby R&R » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:30 pm

picard_dissapointed.jpg
picard_dissapointed.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 9375 times

Checking other things. Found the worst culprit of the "preset change" loading time in my beta version. Was an dropdown array sending 70+ triggers to redraw a top level MGUI on preset change. For the green section, and all it's dropdowns etc :oops: :P

To quote Spogg:
- "Restart FlowStone and see what you did wrong."

:lol:
R&R

Postby R&R » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 am

A survey/question to anyone that might be reading...

- Would you find it to confusing if LFO Depth knobs are of flipping -+ type?

LFO_Depth_Flip.jpg
LFO_Depth_Flip.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 9308 times

Versus

LFO_Depth_Regular.jpg
LFO_Depth_Regular.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 9308 times

:?:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:47 am

That “Spot the difference” puzzle took me a while to complete! :oops:

My preference would be the +/- Depth knob, with the zero position as default.

Nice UI by the way!
Spogg

Postby R&R » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:32 am

Spogg wrote:That “Spot the difference” puzzle took me a while to complete! :oops:

My preference would be the +/- Depth knob, with the zero position as default.

Nice UI by the way!

Thanks!
:)
Good to hear about the -+ flipping knobs... as I already use it for my envelopes.

Felt restrictive not to have this also for LFO's. To be able to modulate destinations in both directions from a single LFO waveform, and also automating a flip for a single destination if wanted...

Trying to make the best of the retrictions I placed on myself :?
Did decide upon a vektor style UI with WxH ratio of a physical "1 or 2 rack unit" or the same feel atleast.
But realized now afterwards, that fitting all text and options... keeping the text etc "large" is a challenge.

The UI gets cramped quickly, as you might have alot of experience of... with lots of parameters in your simulations.
Tricky to add a UI flow and contextual grouping, and also contextual functionality of options, buttons, knobs and sliders :?
R&R

Postby Spogg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:49 am

R&R wrote:...
The UI gets cramped quickly, as you might have alot of experience of... with lots of parameters in your simulations.
Tricky to add a UI flow and contextual grouping, and also contextual functionality of options, buttons, knobs and sliders :?

Yes indeed! The bad thing is when I’ve laid everything out and I realise I totally NEED a new knob or something. Then it’s shuffle time…
I’ve occasionally made a suggestion to Johan to enhance an option, and he often says it would be nice but there’s no room on the UI for it!
Also the contextual thing can be tricky. It’s nice to have a panel labelled “TUNING” for example, but categorising some functions can be a challenge.
Some time ago tulamide gave me (and others) great advice about UI design which I try my best to take heed of (and often fail) but it’s good to keep in mind at least.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:41 am

Spogg wrote:Some time ago tulamide gave me (and others) great advice about UI design which I try my best to take heed of (and often fail) but it’s good to keep in mind at least.

Yes I do also remember reading through an old UI thread here somewhere, perhaps it was tulamide who authored it...
I've never broken an UI down to ratios and stuff. Usually try to "wing it" and hope for the best :D even if i'm familiar with UX design aspects.

Spogg wrote: Then it’s shuffle time…

:lol:
Yep, time for the shuffle. As long as one dances while adhoc-modifying an UI... it's ok right? 8-)

An anecdote from an old colleague of mine... that used to say that: "If you need a manual to understand how to operate a contraption, then it's simply a badly designed machine."

He often threw the manuals away. Obviously flawed logic but in a design context pretty reasonable...

Adding stuff afterwards, that's when things turn south quickly... probably what ends up plaguing alot of designs :lol:
R&R

Postby Spogg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:51 am

R&R wrote:...
An anecdote from an old colleague of mine... that used to say that: "If you need a manual to understand how to operate a contraption, then it's simply a badly designed machine."

He often threw the manuals away. Obviously flawed logic but in a design context pretty reasonable...

Adding stuff afterwards, that's when things turn south quickly... probably what ends up plaguing alot of designs :lol:

Yes, I remember tulamide saying that you shouldn’t need to read the manual. I took that to be an ideal, an aspiration, rather than what happens in reality. I would say it depends on the complexity and also the weirdness of some functions wherein a label couldn’t be chosen to describe the function. Taken to the extreme, I can’t imagine a DAW coming without a manual or help file.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:11 pm

Yeah making a DAW without any user manual at all seems like a challenge :D Might work for simple DAWs...

I guess there are some out there, or have been some minimalist DAWs out there... that does decent job at being somewhat self explanatory. Then again it might be subjective when a DAW even becomes a DAW, some advanced sampler plugins/software feel like DAWs... only thing missing is the option to load other VSTs inside them :lol:

EnergyXT 32-bit (still alive, sort of... I think) is a really nice minimalist DAW, which seems to have a superminimalist 64-bit beta version.
I also remember Synape Audio's Orion (discontinued) which I really enjoyed despite lacking some essential features...

Not to forget the Mod Trackers of the 90's :roll: :D :lol: :P
R&R

PreviousNext

Return to General