Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

BPM clock for adjusting vst synth arp and rate

For general discussion related FlowStone

BPM clock for adjusting vst synth arp and rate

Postby Casper78oo » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:55 am

I need to know how to make a bpm clock for syncing arp’s and effect rates. I have looked thru the modules and cannot find one, should be a way of assembling one. Synth Edit another vst maker has a bpm clock module and almost every VST I use has a bpm clock. I want to make one that works in .exe form not in a host daw. Any help would be appreciated - I am brand new at flowstone.
Casper78oo

Re: BPM clock for adjusting vst synth arp and rate

Postby adamszabo » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:23 am

You need to use the Time Signature module, and you have to calculate the bpm from that
adamszabo

Postby R&R » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:56 am

Casper78oo wrote: I want to make one that works in .exe form not in a host daw.

adamszabo wrote:You need to use the Time Signature module, and you have to calculate the bpm from that

"Syncing" .exe export from FS?
Would have to be via midi input somehow then, perhaps the Time signature prim won't work in that case?

Or are you just after BPM to frequency to make internal sync signal?
Attachments
BPM_to_freq.fsm
(566 Bytes) Downloaded 1251 times
R&R

Postby R&R » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:23 pm

I guess one has to adjust according to different samplerates though :lol:

Think I messed that up myself :lol: :oops: have to check/fix my synth...
R&R

Postby Casper78oo » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:46 am

Thanks, will try that. “Sync” referring to certain tempo like 80bpm for example when I use drum machine I need the time on my synth to be the same BPM so arp, effect rates etc are together in time. I need to set like 80bpm then also a 1/4 / 1/8 etc…. So I am looking for a BPM clock to set or else it is stuck at 120bpm or whatever the exe is programmed like. Basically the bpm clock a daw has but build into my .exe….
Casper78oo

Postby Spogg » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:54 am

If you have a stand-alone exe it obviously can’t pick up on any external settings; the Tempo-related prims are all expecting to found inside a DAW, so there’s no point in using them in an exe.

So you can input a BPM via a number entry box or similar, and get a frequency value out without using sample rate. It’s super accurate so if you need, say a BPM of 98.72, it will sync pretty much forever.
Sample rate is taken care of in the Hz to freq 0-1 module, because 1 represents half the current sample rate (Nyquist). Once in the 0-1 range ("normalised") the oscillator will then step at the correct rate for the whatever is the current sample rate and produce the correct frequency.

So, BPM/60 is the simple formula for converting Beats Per Minute to Hz. Then you use a Hz to Freq module for the LFO. For beat ratios you could change the 60 or use a multiplier for the frequency.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:11 am

I'd recommend to follow any of Spoggs examples/explanation when learning...

My own implementation in my synths LFO is slightly different. Also i'm relatively new at FS and not even close to being as knowledgable as Spogg at all this audio stuff.
The green schematic snippet I posted above was derived adhoc from inside the "Step LFO" toolbox module in FS.
R&R

Return to General