Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Toolbox duplicating items by itself

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Toolbox duplicating items by itself

Postby tester » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Doing my designs (about 450 000 primitives per project, and 550 000 links), I decided to remove from OSM/FSM everything, that can cause nasty load delays, and switched into vectors. From what I see - having inside too many (even small) bitmaps and other files that can be outside (waves and wavetable arrays?) - causes the project to load slower. On my laptop (2GHz, but in save mode - a half of it) - my work loads in c.a. 32 seconds. Presets in that project (c.a. 2000 parameters) load also around a half of minute. Copy/paste of large modules (like main subunits) - takes long enough to make a tea. :-) But never crashes. Delete visuals and undo delete - causes some errors (not everything is re-displayed again. Also it is good to de-sync modules if you don't need that functionality right now.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby trogluddite » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Yes, you're right that can be a problem - pretty much every single primitive remembers its contents when you save schematic or export. I suppose it's quite handy to know that 'set up' conditions will always be present, but it sure can take some memory and load times!
Quite tricky to solve - if you clear out all the values to speed up loading, you've then got to re-fill all the primtives with values (lots of triggers!), so it doesn't really help much.
Using vector graphics is certainly a good idea - partly why I've been messing so much with Ruby, because it can make more versatile vector shapes, and I like to have 'unique' knobs for different functions.
The only other really big saver, is if you have many e.g. float arrays, wavetables etc. each of which is only needed by a few presets, using VST 'String preset' to link to the file paths - but then loading them dynamically at preset change slows the preset manager!

tester wrote:Also it is good to de-sync modules if you don't need that functionality right now.

Quick tip - press CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + 'S' - you'll get a little dialogue box with the option to clear ALL sync for the whole schematic. That has saved me from 'Slow Down' on many occasions. It really should be in the User Guide instead of a 'Dev's Debug' feature!!
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tester » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Trog - could you make a sticky topic here, to gather tips and tricks, which are unknown, easy to forget, but useful when working with FS workspace? I guess some of them are not included in manual, but even though - who reads remembers the whole manual? Things are used when are needed, but sometimes you don't know what could be helpful or what's name of that little thing.
tester

Postby trogluddite » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm in total agreement about your ideas - already useful things are being buried, and questions repeated. But I don't have moderator powers here, and the developers are too busy improving the software to do those things.

I made an open offer to the developers quite a while ago to be a moderator here if they want one - but, it is their site, and the power to create moderators etc. is entirely theirs.
After the flame-storm at the SM site after the FS announcement, it is understandable that they are cautious about allowing user moderation - and I was certainly guilty of saying some harsh things in the heat of moment, as were others of the SM 'gurus'. (they were very gracious when I e-mailed an apology for my rudeness).

I would also be cautious of becoming a moderator again if there were many pre-conditions that might make it awkward to speak my honest opinions here. I am always interested to collaborate with the dev's to improve FS by bug reporting, testing etc., but I have no wish to become an unofficial "public relations" person.
That's not an issue at the SM site because the dev's had no involvement for such a long time - but with the new 'rolling update' thing, and the appeal of FS beyond making plugins, it seems that they wish to keep things more "professional" than before.

We'll see - maybe they are just taking their time to see if we are able to behave ourselves in a more constructive and rational way. No software, or company, it beyond criticism - but some very nasty and rather personal insults and accusations were said during the 'SM end days" . DSPr seem to be making a big effort to address the lack of progress that we complained about in the past - and for our part, maybe we must earn back the trust we lost during those infamous times.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby tester » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 pm

...just tell them to open a sticky topic here, and he's free do go back to his work. :-)

We need a place where we can put things together. Here or... maybe on SM forum? These hidden and forgotten features probably are the same on both systems. But even if not - it will give some space to compare SM and FS in terms of these things.

p.s.: generally I said no bad word in the past as you remember, but have no dreams of becoming moderator :-)
tester

Postby trogluddite » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah, a shame that many suffer for the words of a few.
tester wrote:no dreams of becoming moderator

He he - but banning spammers is such a very rewarding hobby! :twisted:
trogluddite

Postby tester » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 am

Yep, I know, the best way to lose a forum. You may woke up one day, and be really touched by the surounding peaceful silence :mrgreen:
tester

Postby trogluddite » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 am

Nah, I'll always keep you around - I like the arguments too much! ;)

PS) Apparently there's this great place that does cheap hardwood kitchens in Bradford/Barnsley/Sheffield/London/Brighton/Cambridge/York/Darlington/Leeds/Northampton/Southampton/Bristol//Oxford/Newcastle/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Taunton/Halifax/Weymouth/Nottingham/Derby/Cardiff/Belfast/Exeter/...............

Sure they'll get around to their Polish showrooms soon - I can always stop deleting the threads over at the SM site if you're in the market for some nice shiny new cupboards at knock down prices! :lol: :twisted:

And there's this really nice lady from Spain who'd like to marry you because you're such a "nice boy", oh, or was it Nigeria, oh, no, no Greece, erm, I think, oh, no that was the other one, I'm thinking of the one from, err....
...anyway, she says she's really pretty, i think she fancies you!
trogluddite

Postby billv » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 am

trogluddite wrote:Quick tip - press CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + 'S' - you'll get a little dialogue box with the option to clear ALL sync for the whole schematic

That's just gold Trog. Cheers.
tester wrote:We need a place where we can put things together

Looks like we could use a wiki.........??
billv

Previous

Return to General