Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

slide module - so how it works

For general discussion related FlowStone

slide module - so how it works

Postby tester » Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 am

I'm trying to figure out how the "slide" module works, but it looks that I'm missing something.

I'd like to set a constant slide time per step, to make it smoother with dezippers on blue side, so I'm manipulating the step size. So the formula is:

steps = slidetime x 1000/steptime
stepsize = input/steps = steptime/1000 x input/slidetime

But getting weird slide times.
What did I miss?
Somewhat I doubt that windows timing is so bad, rather my math. :-)
Attachments
slide module.fsm
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 974 times
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Re: slide module - so how it works

Postby tester » Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 am

I found your module Trog.
What can I remove from it, to make it smaller?
Could you clean it a little bit?
Attachments
slide-module-01.fsm
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 940 times
tester

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 am

tagging on tho this thread regarding an issue with the 'Slide' primitive.

I don't know what the problem is, but I've placed a 'Slide' prim into one of my circuits and everything works fine inside of FS.

Now, when I export the module as a VST ... everything works EXCEPT the bit with the Slide primitive :shock:

What could possibly change just doing an VST export ????
RJHollins

Postby tester » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:12 am

Green motion prims will not work in render mode in DAWs, you need streamy modules there instead. Use dezipper.
tester

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:40 pm

This is for a midi project, no audio.

Basically need a fader or knob value to glide
up/down to target value.

I wonder if RUBY would be a choice?
RJHollins

Postby tester » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:47 am

Extract that part of your schematic, check how it works alone, and if doesn't works - post it here.
tester

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 am

Hi tester,

I can extract that part of the schematic, but it may be a bit to test it out as its 'input' is only MIDI data.

Secondly, as mentioned, it works fine when run from FS ... stops working as exported VST. Your mention of green 'motion' prims not working in DAWs is a bit troubling to read. :o

I've looked into using the DeZipper. It seems an M2F is the only prim I find to get back to a float. The problem there is that it needs an audio stream to function. Maybe that won't be such a problem in the end. I'm working on something new for me, and still learning.

Anyway ... this is a fairly simple schematic.

Data arrives at the MIDI IN port. There is a MIDI Channel filter to isolate a single channel. This is then 'split' off to have D2 as a value that will control a Knob connected to dual VCA's. Basically, MIDI data control audio output level. All else is eye candy info.

My goal is to do a form of 'damping' to changes in the data to ease dramatic level changes ... thus the idea to 'slide' into the new level. I'm also needing to address an issue when a MIDI patch change AND level change are sent. I need to figure a way to smooth audio levels during that time [audio cuts out during the patch change ... nothing I can do about that, so I need to work something out]. The problem has been when I export this, the 'Slide' no longer works, so any testing can't be done :roll:

Here's the basic schematic ... do you see if I'm just doing stupid somewhere here :lol:
capture 1.jpg
capture 1.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 18672 times

Slide prim issue-1.fsm
Slide prim issue with VST export
(142.01 KiB) Downloaded 1004 times

Again ... works fine in FS ... not after VST export.

Thanks everyone for any ideas to this!
RJHollins

Postby MyCo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 am

Try this

Don't know if this is addresses the problem you have, but there was a threading problem with Midi, that's why there was a de-threader module in SynthMaker. It isn't included in the FS Toolbox, may be it's not necessary anymore.
Attachments
Midi-de-threader.fsm
(131.13 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
MyCo

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 am

MyCo wrote:Try this

Don't know if this is addresses the problem you have, but there was a threading problem with Midi, that's why there was a de-threader module in SynthMaker. It isn't included in the FS Toolbox, may be it's not necessary anymore.

Once again ... MyCo, you have 'Saved The Day' ! :D :D :D

It WORKS ... even in the VST export ! Thank-you ! 8-)

If I may impose a bit further, please ....

Is there any links to details that identify what this issue is, and when, where, we should apply the de-thread module ??

You were also correct that this 'de-thread' module is not in FS [best I know]. I would have never figured this out on my own. If this is, indeed, a bug ... is this being addressed in an update ? Would the 'de-thread' module cause problems when MIDI is fixed ???

In the meantime, any info, links that could help educate me on this 'issue' would be most welcomed, as I'm now relying on MIDI within many aspects of my new projects.

Once again, thanks for spotting this thread and providing a solution MyCo ! I've been following other threads [FFT] stuff that you've posted ... but mostly for me, with 'glazed over eyes' :oops: :lol: Fascinating stuff.

Also, I've just started using Your multi-tabbed GUI in my 2nd project. [I think the latest one posted]. So far, it seems I'm able to integrate without any problems. This is so brilliant what you've put together, and now allows me to do some sophisticated designs. My planned 3rd project will start with this tabbed GUI module, and should help me to design with this feature already in mind.

THANK-YOU ! 8-)
RJHollins

Postby MyCo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 am

The Midi-problem is not a Bug... it's kind of a known misbehaviour. The background is: The Midi stuff runs in a separate thread (not the GUI Thread that the green trigger system uses). Here is the original description from Malc:
http://www.synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3673
MyCo

Next

Return to General