Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Flowstone2 not starting

For general discussion related FlowStone

Flowstone2 not starting

Postby Xenophage » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi folks. So I installed Flowstone2 on my laptop running windows XP. At the end of the install I clicked 'Finish' and allowed it to start Flowstone2. It brought up most of the GUI but then disappeared and brought up a crash report. I didn't send the report thinking it was maybe a one time bug. I opened it again and it asked to start in safe mode, but I skipped that, and it crashed again. Now starting it, It just brings up the intro splash screen for a few seconds, then a progress bar appears for about half a second, then nothing. No exe in task manager either. I tried rebooting, same problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled, tried clicking 'Safe Start', same problem. My laptop meets all minimum system requirements. Tried different compatibility modes. Any Ideas?
Xenophage

Re: Flowstone2 not starting

Postby Xenophage » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Update on this. I found Flowstone.exe's running in task manager. I ended those, and started another and watched it. It uses about 50% - 80% of the processor for about 7 seconds of CPU time and builds up about 47MB of mem usage, then it sits there at 0% CPU usage. Waited for a while and nothing happened. Am I missing a component of some kind?
Xenophage

Postby Xenophage » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Problem Solved. Apparently I downloaded a bad copy of the ZIP file. I downloaded another copy on another computer and used that to install and it worked fine.
Xenophage

Postby alexhenzen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:00 am

Well... I seem to have a problem that looks identical.
Installing went fine, but after playing around for an hour, the program crashed out and won't start now, showing the symptoms mentioned above.
Re-starting, re-installing or re-downloading doesn't help...
Any suggestions?
alexhenzen

Postby alexhenzen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Okay, seems like an error in a .DLL triggers the fault.
Solution: Uninstall flowstone, then re-install. (after killing the processes in memory..)
It also uninstalls all saved programs in the workfolder, so SAVE THESE SOMEWHERE ELSE...
I hope this is still beta-software...
alexhenzen

Postby dproffer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm

I found the same problem with first install of Flowstone 2.0 on Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.
Crashed after initial startup from installer. No GUI, just running app process flowstone.exe. Each time you try launch the app, some small dialog appears, but for too short a time to read its contents. Then another instance of the app is sitting in the task manager list.

Uninstalled app fully, reinstalled and problem went away.

Problem did not occur when I installed app on Windows XP.
dproffer

Postby alexhenzen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 pm

That's the exact same behaviour I find, once the program has crashed.
Only problem is: it doesn't go away after the first install. If I make an error addressing the .DLL (and since the expression is evaluated immediately, it could be as much as a typing error...) the program crashes and I have to uninstall / install. I'm about to give up on flowstone until they can provide a way to have the program recover smoothly. (reinstalling every 10 minutes isn't exactly rewarding..) Pity, since it does exactly what I want it to do, as long as it's running..
alexhenzen

Return to General