Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

DSPR please give a statement

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: DSPR please give a statement

Postby Spogg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:16 am

I’m not a coder and I don’t want to have to learn to code. I did learn Sinclair BASIC and dabbled with MS QBASIC many decades ago but it took me ages to get the simplest of things done. The best I ever did was a QBASIC customised spread sheet for a charity.

So for me Flowstone is totally wonderful because each object on the screen represents a sophisticated piece of code that I never have to see but can use in a very easy and intuitive way. Flowstone is the closest I can get to my old hobby of making synths and effects (and more) by connecting stuff together (but without the soldering iron). I can experiment with configurations, sometimes in near real time, without having to type a single line of code.

Yet if I want to make a customised DSP process, experiment with assembler or Ruby, the option is available.
Finally I can share it with anyone who can make use of the world-standard VST format.

In my case, for me to jump ship to a better supported application, it would have to do all the above for me, including the GUI possibilities I didn’t mention. Is there anything out there that can fulfil all my needs (I tried SynthEdit and it seemed inferior)?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby jjs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Don't get me wrong, i like Flowstone very much just like i did SynthMaker.

Vst may be still alive but it's not that booming anymore like 10 years ago.
Only progress i see and i've been away for at least 2 years now, is minor bug fixes.

Livecode is more about logical thinking, if i can do it as a non-native-english speaker then anyone can.
It's not coding like c++ but much more simple.
Just drag a button enter it's script and Hello world is as simple as:

on mouseUp
answer "Hello World"
end mouseUp

i just think it's a pitty seeing people stagnating on the thing they like and love.
BUt you don't need to switch, it's just a suggestion.

Cheers!
jjs

Postby adamszabo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

jjs wrote:Vst may be still alive but it's not that booming anymore like 10 years ago.

Where do you pull this kind of information from? Clearly you dont use your computer to make music. VST is the standard way to use virtual instruments in your DAW. VST is not tied to Flowstone, it was long before Flowstone existed and it will exist after it. There are amazing VSTs coming every even now, it has never been better.
adamszabo

Postby tester » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

With Flowstone - I don't need logical thinking, and I still can get results. So WHY BOTHER? :mrgreen:

Flowstone combines modularity, visual programming and dataflow architecture in a unique, simplified and natural way, that makes the programming experience pleasant. Do you know any better "language" that you can learn (basic to average degree) without reading manuals but by exploring connections? Max? Synthedit? Sorry, not that funny.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby jjs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:57 pm

@adam i make music on computer since the amiga, started on pc started with win3.11evolved to win95 with cakewalk 3.1 till 9 using my Terratec EWS64XL with 64MB sample memory and then jumped over to Cubase of course using external synths and VST's and still do with Cubase and Ableton Live. Also started with SynthMaker years ago.

@tester Would be strange even to not use logic in FlowStone, You will alos need logic here else you'll create nothing.
Labview you can explore without a manual, even Livecode.
I did not read any manual for Livecode, just follow some examples and explore the build in dictionary, explore the forums. The same like you do here. Same fun as with FlowStone, the fun starts when the results show off.
Eventually even in Flowstone you sometimes need more info on how to use something, then you still need some reading to do.
jjs

Postby tester » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:16 am

I played with Labview for few minutes, did not liked, too complex to get results.

As for logic and Flowstone. I think it's a combination of both - natural dataflow (like natural language you speak; I don't know where I go, but at the end - things seem to be right or in many/easy cases - are easy to adjust) and the users interface. Paradoxically, the interface makes a lot of contribution to the workflow. Take an example. Text editors. You can type text in any of them, but some of them seem to be more useful than others. They all may have the same or similar functionality. But the way you can use it - makes it easier or more difficult, lovely or poor. Among visual modular dataflow apps - Flowstone is a masterpiece.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby jjs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 pm

True Flowstone is very nice and cheap also for what it offers though.

BUt to survice and relive again new strategies have to be taken. The Kickstarter was one (and the last) of them they did.
So that's why i mentioned, create a community version 32bit and a paid version with more options and 64bit.
Respond to people via the forum, make a page to call in bugs and get them resolved within 2 weeks and an update every month. Update to latest versions of VSTi sdk's etcetera. Keep it alive and don't let it die.

-------
But Labview costs a few 1000's of dollars/euros, is professionally used by big company's, programming is parallel, meaning you have to set an order or many things will execute at once, executables are converted to C or C++ keeping it speedy and if you're really good at programming Labview you can easily earn 75.000 till 100.000 euros a year.
jjs

Postby adamszabo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am

Can Labview make VST plugins? Nope. Then why are we even arguing here?
adamszabo

Postby Youlean » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 pm

What about Synthedit? It can create VST 32bit, and 64bit and mac (experimental) too.
Youlean

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Youlean wrote:What about Synthedit? It can create VST 32bit, and 64bit and mac (experimental) too.

First off I made a very basic synth in SynthEdit then tried SynthMaker and never looked back. Seemed so much better in so many ways. Flowstone even more so.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to General