Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby guyman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 am

How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project or exported program?

If I have them all on selectors, will the cpu overhead be non existant?
guyman

Re: How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 am

Difficult to answer in a meaningful way (for me anyway!).

What I have done sometimes is to make multiple copies of something and see the effect on CPU when a note is played (or you can test in blue). I subtract the “resting” CPU (typically about 0.7 on my PC) then if I have 100 modules I divide the actual CPU by 100.
So if I got 11% CPU with a resting CPU of 1% that would mean each module is using about 0.1%.

If you synchronise all the modules you can change the code in just one and see the effect much better, since any small change is multiplied.

I don’t find the analyser system very useful because the readout is not so stable, so there’s guesswork involved.

Maybe someone else can give a better answer…
Spogg

Re: How many dsp codes can I stuff in a project?

Postby HughBanton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:58 am

How many dsp codes? Thousands. Bear in mind that all stream components are already running dsp (or rather assembler) behind the scenes, and by re-writing and combining bunches of them into dsp, you are already automatically lightening the cpu load. The more you can aggregate the better, because connectors & links themselves have an overhead.

I'm sure I read somewhere here that when you use the stream selector prim, or the multiplexer prim within a stream, then whichever stream is NOT connected is actually not processed at all, everything bypassed.

In which case you'll be correct about the cpu load. I dare say you could use Spogg's multiple-copy method to verify this, neat idea.

H
HughBanton

Return to General