Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

toolbox

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: toolbox

Postby trogluddite » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 am

jbonnell4394 wrote:is this software capable of creating Sequencers now ??

Looks promising - the arpeggiator example that the dev's did was a surprisingly short amount of code, and I made a neat little MIDI recorder/player quite easily. I'm just trying to get my head around doing PPQ sync - that's a tad tricky, but a problem that only needs solving once!

PS) Top Tip for importing modules - if you select a tag before dragging to the toolbox, the module will automatically get that tag attached to it. This also works if you drag several modules in at the same time - so the easiest way is to make an SM schematic with a group of related modules, change the extension from .osm to .fsm, load in FS3, select a tag, then CTRL-A and drag them all in at once.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby jbonnell4394 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 am

Awesome Trog.. I'll be studying more tonight on the Ruby Language.. I'm not ready to work with sequencers yet
but I'd love to check out some of your experiments.. :)

Yeah I just associated .OSM to FlowStone in windows so I don't need to change the extentions...
Thanks a bunch for the tips.. :-).. Now back to building my toolbox... Such Fun! :-)
jbonnell4394

Postby jbonnell4394 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:05 am

Tool box problem is still happening, Create Tags, Click on tag and even lock it, open OSM with modules in it Into FlowStone, highlight them all or CNTR-A (Windows) and Click the plus sign to add the modules into the new toolbox.
under the tag that I have selected let's say LED's then I creat another tag let's say Audio FX and again open up a OSM with my Audio FX Modules in it into FlowStone and again send them all into the tag Audio FX so far all is good.. then I close flowStone and reopen it and now some of my Audio FX are in the LED's folder.. I have even gone as far as going thru my FlowStone toolbox and clicking the little plus sign and it brings up the list of tags that are selected and try to clean them up that way. I close out of FlowStone and re-open and poof all messed up again...

Do we have a little bug in the new FlowStone 3 toolbox or is it just mine ?? Also IMHO the OP is right this new toolbox is NOT fun to work with... :-(

Can anyone help ? or do I wait for flowStone 3.01 ?
jbonnell4394

Postby trogluddite » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Weird, I just can't seem to make this happen - but maybe my old SM folder were set up differently or something.
Best thing to do - send an e-mail off to support detailing the problem. But first, make the problem happen, and note the names of a couple of the mis-behaving modules. Then find the .hom files for those modules, and send them along with your e-mail (maybe with the original SM .homs too). That will give the dev's a chance to look inside the .hom code to maybe see if something is up with the way that the tags are put into the .hom files.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby jbonnell4394 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks Trog, Might have something to do my my setup. I might have caused the problem due to some of the files in my documents folder that were set to read only.. I'll mess with it when I get back home.... BUT as a test Trog
creat a tag in FlowStone called "Analog Kit" then grab the analog kits .Hom files and load them in.. Now in your Analog Kit tag should only have what is it 57 Modules.. THEN close FlowStone and Re-open it. Now go-a-head and click on your new Analog Kit Key/Tag/Folder what ever you want to call it LOL and see if in fact the Analog Kit has still only 57 items. what would happen to me is some of the "Audio" key/tag would show up in the Analog Kit tag.

I suppose this would be the test cause if it doesn't happen with that test for you then their is something wrong with my machine and I'll just Re-Image it...
jbonnell4394

Postby trogluddite » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I'll try and give that a go over the weekend.
That's a great choice of test BTW, a standard set of modules that we can all test like for like. :)
trogluddite

Re: toolbox migration - don't move ,homs!!

Postby trogluddite » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm

support wrote:For the tool box issues you are having it’s far easier to make a Synthmaker schematic with them all in, open this in FlowStone and then use the add to tool box feature to put them where you want them

Sorted - it is exactly as said here...
...except it misses out a very important piece of information.

I managed to reproduce your problem exactly - but only when moving the .hom files. It behaves perfectly if you do it by moving the modules via a schematic, and drag and tag within FS.
If you just move the .hom files, they are parsed - and the parsier looks for tags inside the .hom files.
I looked inside some of the .homs using Notepad++, and can tell you exactly why some of the modules end up inside the 'Audio' category...
...because the word "audio" is there in the .hom file - inside a line of text from a code module!! :shock:

Now here's what's interesting - I had a look inside an FS .hom file - and the tag name doesn't appear there as plain text. So it must be encoded differently in native FS .homs. But for SM .homs, the tags are parsed as plain text - and the parser obviously diesn't know where in the file to look, so it just pulls out every plain text string that matches a tag name.

This explains why I didn't have the problem - because I've been migrating using schematics, not .homs. And it looks like this is what everyone should do to avoid toolbox mess. I'm so glad I didn't try this with my modules - there are 100's, and nearly all of them have tooltip text etc. that would probably have been parsed.

Well, at least we know now - but it would have been nice if we had been explicitly told this, instead just being advised that using a schematic is "easier" and having to work it out for ourselves! :(
trogluddite

Postby jbonnell4394 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 am

Ok I have run a few tests as well, the toolbox mess is still happening with me even doing the schematic transfer method.. now here is the fun part, my toolbox messes up the minute I open an OLD .OSM
jbonnell4394

Postby trogluddite » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Yes, seems I may have spoken too soon - there are definitely some other odd things going on.
For example, when you click the tags icon for a module in the toolbox to see what tags it has - there are sometimes some there that aren't even in the main tags pane. This also seems to happen sometimes when dragging into the toolbox.

This definitely needs sorting out - the tags are a great idea, but they're not going to be much use with this happening all the time. I don't mind re-building a few modules to make use of Ruby, but I don't want to have to do all of them just to make them into proper FS versions.
If there are changes needed in the .homs, then we need some kind of batch convertor tool available in FS (or as an app to download from the forum). I'm definitely going to e-mail Malc about this - I have a load of old toolkits that I want to re-vamp and post here, but I'm not going to upload them until I know they aren't going to cripple everyones tagging system.
trogluddite

Postby jbonnell4394 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Great I'm glad it's not just me :-) yeah the toolbox has some little bugs to work out
also when you click the little + sign next to an item it'll bring up a list of the tags that it belongs to
if you uncheck some tags next time you open FlowStone it will just go back to the way it was SO bottom
line is it does not save any changes you make to the list of tags when you tap the + Sign....

-J
jbonnell4394

PreviousNext

Return to General