Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Guitar Tone Stacks

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Guitar Tone Stacks

Postby Emil » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:07 am

Hello everyone! Here are 4 tonestacks: Simple, Marshall, Vox TB (Tone Booster) and Vox as Marshall.
Simple is where I started to create tonestacks.
Marshall: let's face it, I don't know math delta transformations and I'm not a matlab user. That's why from the very beginning I decided to use Flowstone tools, although you can find C++ programs on the net. As a basis I took the TSC in the web calculator from https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/marshall and started to adjust the coefficients with gradual approximation to the desired characteristic. You can judge how close the obtained characteristics are to those in TSC in the web.
Vox TB: the same was done with Vox Tone Booster.
When I was almost finished, it occurred to me that Vox TB is a variant of Marshall but without the Middle control and this control can be replaced by a numerical value. That's how Vox as Marshall came about. It is up to you to decide which one you prefer. If someone will improve this or present their own variants of TSC, I will be glad if you share it.
Attachments
Guitar Tone Stacks.fsm
(370.23 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Emil

Re: Guitar Tone Stacks

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:15 pm

Wow, that must have been qute some work, if based on trial and error! And you seem to have searched the entire forum for filters, congradualtions and respect! When I hear three-band tone control, I immediately think cascaded peaking EQs or shelving filters, but that's not how tone stacks in vintage guitar amps worked. In contrast, I think your filter topology captures the characteristics very well! Thumbs up!
martinvicanek

Re: Guitar Tone Stacks

Postby Emil » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:07 pm

Thank you martinvicanek! I realized the importance of TS (Tone Stack) influence on the sound in my youth, when I was designing tube guitar amplifiers. In my opinion, the TS circuitry is up to 30-40% of the character of the sound of a particular amp. That's why I bow my head to Fender and Marshall, who designed TS in their amps, guided almost only by intuition. Still, I'm sure that the electrical circuitry of resistors and capacitors can be implemented via DSP code. I would be glad to do so, but to my deep regret I do not know the methods of converting electrical circuits into code due to the lack of necessary education, so I went by trial and error. And also, I really dug through the whole forum in search of the filters I need. That is why I can say in the words of one of the classics: "I stood on the shoulders of giants".
Emil

Return to User Examples