Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Quilcom SIM-BANDURA

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quilcom SIM-BANDURA

Postby Spogg » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:50 am

Hello fellow FS addicts!

I knew nothing about the Bandura, which turns out to be considered the national instrument of Ukraine!

In my view it’s a very “sweet” sounding plucked instrument, so I’ve done my best to make it so.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z90rl8ws ... dvpkw&dl=0

Video:
https://youtu.be/Npdt1EKounE
Spogg

Re: Quilcom SIM-BANDURA

Postby billv » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:18 pm

Thanks Spogg ...sounds great....nice work... :)
billv

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm

Great work again, Spogg! I never heard a real bandura, but your simulation sounds very natural, ethnic, not like a synth at all. I wonder how you approach the task to achieve such realism. Apart from reading stuff, do you take spectra or analyse the vibrations in the time domain? Or is it your Volcan ears that enable you to do this just by listening?
Whatever your technique, the result is outstanding! Again!
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 am

martinvicanek wrote:Great work again, Spogg! I never heard a real bandura, but your simulation sounds very natural, ethnic, not like a synth at all. I wonder how you approach the task to achieve such realism. Apart from reading stuff, do you take spectra or analyse the vibrations in the time domain? Or is it your Volcan ears that enable you to do this just by listening?
Whatever your technique, the result is outstanding! Again!

Thank you Martin!

I never really codified my approach but, as you can imagine, the best tool I have is my ears. Here’s approximately what I do:

I find as much out about the instrument as I can.

I check to see if there’s any academic papers on synthesising the instrument, although in most cases I don’t find that very useful. But I may get clues about the sonic behaviour and makeup.

I listen to examples but generally seek one-shots. Sometimes I can find a video about how to tune the instrument, for those that can be tuned of course. That can give me one-shots. I also search for actual samples.

Sometimes I put these monophonic sounds into my Quilcom Wavemaker. For that I can get the spectrum and re-synthesise from the harmonics. I often randomise the phases and tweak the partial levels while listening to the original, until I get a decent match. In the case of the Bandura, I created a waveform from the early part of the sound and one from the tail end. I did that for the Bass strings and Treble strings separately, based on a couple of tuning videos. I provided 6 sets of waveforms, each with different partial phases and slightly modified partial amplitudes, to give a range of variations.

As we all know, the attack of a sound gives us the best audio cue as to the instrument’s identity. So I then focus on manipulating the envelope(s) and adding what I can to the Attack part. I look at the real envelope in an audio editor (my favourite is NCH Wavepad) to get the shape, and I often find that a plain exponential decay is usually insufficient. That’s where a lot of variation in my approach comes in. It can involve more than 1 envelope generator and/or a little FM (phase modulation) on the attack. I can add additional partials to the attack and so on. Each instrument has its own needs.
As I work, I play what I have so far alongside YouTube videos and make fine adjustments to get as close as possible.

I’ve found that the more SIMs I make, the knowledge gained from earlier stuff helps me to arrive at the best I can do much faster, which is simply the build-up of experience. I’m developing a sense of what should work and what won’t be so good.
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:07 pm

I would call your approach serious engineering at its best!
martinvicanek

Return to User Examples