Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Quilcom V16: A 16 channel vocoder

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quilcom V16: A 16 channel vocoder

Postby Spogg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:07 am

Hi all

I suspect that most stoners (Flow ones) make a Vocoder at some point in their addiction and this is Mr. Spoggs first one.

I had a lot of fun playing with this. I only made 3 presets with different centre frequencies because the first preset did what I wanted the best, to my old ears. It may be that my deep and manly voice is the issue and that a lady might benefit from alternative settings.

The envelope attack and decay and the resonance settings are inside the module because I found, experimentally, that there was an optimum setting which, when deviated from, only made the results inferior. This assumes that one is looking for the classic singing keyboard sound of course.

I added input level meters as an aid to routing the VST-saved version in a DAW. I found this tricky in Reaper but got there in the end. So, I've also upped the Reaper Project File which is ready to go when you have located the V16 and Quilcom Transformer synth (or whatever synth you want to use).

As always this is free to use and abuse and any type of feedback is greatly appreciated. Have fun!

Cheers

Spogg

PS I've tried to make the schematic a bit neater than my usual mess.
PPS In Flowstone the first attempt used 22% CPU then I tried out the Pack/Unpack Mono4 system and it went down to 6%. Very impressive reduction with no loss.
Attachments
Quilcom V16 in Reaper.zip
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times
Quilcom V16 1.01.fsm
A 16 channel vocoder
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1084 times
Spogg

Re: Quilcom V16: A 16 channel vocoder

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:45 am

Hi Spogg,

nice! I have always found the vocoder a fascinating device. ;)
Your implementation would benefit from steeper filters. I have attached an example with eight 4-pole bandpass filters, each with a bandwidth of half an octave. You can easily add more filter units to cover a wider range. One trick is to invert the phase of every other filter in sequence to obtain better reconstruction.

Hope that helps!
Attachments
4PoleFilterBank.fsm
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 1035 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Wow Martin!
Your stuff makes me feel like a cretin :o
Seriously, that looks very interesting, plus I can use the display tool for checking out my own Vocoder core(s).
I will edit this post when I've had a decent chance to play with it.
One thing that particularly interests me is the idea of alternate band phase inversion. I assume this is to phase-cancel stuff out either side of the bands. I shall experiment...

Many thanks as always

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:02 pm

I finally got around to making a new Vocoder using Martin's excellent innards.

See the Quilcom BlueSky Topic...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Return to User Examples