Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Long Delay Line

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Long Delay Line

Postby BobF » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Bobs_LT1Delay.fsm
(215.84 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times

Hello gang,

Well here it is, the delay you have all been waiting for, ha ha! I have been working on this delay on and off for several months. I call it the LT1, short for long tapped delay and 1 for, well there maybe revisions. While working on this I created many really super cool sounds (YES, I know now I should have recorded them (after thought)). This is a really long delay line with 5 taps. There are gain controls for each tap (taps1-5) and a control called monitor out and it controls the summed output, plus there's the knob for delay time. Also there are 5 feedback controls for each tap, plus a audio in/out and kill audio button, the LFO controls, compressor controls along the right side, and at the bottom, a detach taps button, a detach LFO, and lastly a compressor in/out button. As for inputs and outputs there is a full length of the delay input and the summed output for it. This input and output is under full control of all the buttons, knobs, lfo, compressor, and etc.. Now as for the direct inputs and outputs (1 -5) these are ONLY controlled by the delay time and lfo. To use these you would insert a mixer (amp) on a direct output and feed it back into a direct input (NOTE; filters, pitch shifters, limiters, etc. can be inserted here for some more fun also). Note there is also a Vc input for an external lfo, envelope control or whatever.
Ok, for ONE example on using this (as downloaded) I set audio in/out to off (no color), all the gain and feedback controls to zero except number 5, I set it to the max. Set LFO to zero. Now I set detach taps and lfo to off (no color), compressor on (orange and set to your liking). Now for fun I have been using a microphone or guitar for most of my testing. I press the audio in/out, then sing a few verses or strum a chord or two then switch the audio in/off back off. Now this will cycle for ever. The best way to learn it is to play with it (a real lot) The uses, and ways it can be patched are just about endless (I am still discovering new uses and patches myself). Also open it and study the schematic (I know, not the cleanest).

Ok then, PLEASE, please, I would really like to hear from all of you that try this delay. Can it be made to sound better (cleaner, etc), better modulation, modification ideas, your patches, other improvements, fixes and etc..
*** Anyone have any ideas on how to remove or prevent the clicks and pops when turning audio in off and or and also the other buttons too?

IMPORTANT ! Be care full, this thing can cause wild howling feedback. This is one reason I added the compressor, and kill audio button, even though I have used it many times without the compressor.

Well that's it! Have fun and enjoy! Till next time, BobF.....
BobF

Re: Long Delay Line

Postby Spogg » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 am

Bob that's great my friend! Very well done!

Spent some time fooling around with this and looking at your schematic. Got some good effects.

You may not believe this but I just started my Quilcom Snake which is... a multi-tap delay. My intended implementation is rather different from yours so I shall forge ahead (once I've found out why FS crashes when I connect MONOs in series).

I have a few questions and points about yours:

-Monitor in/out knob is integer so it gives -1, 0, 1 into your pan module, so nowhere inbetween is available. Is this intentional and if so, what is the thinking behind it?

- Why did you need 4 delays in series for each delay stage?

- Why do the selectors for "Detach Taps" and LFO need an unused 3rd input with a Float=0 on them?

- I would like to see a preset manager so I can save my settings and also choose a default or INIT preset. I know it's a pain choosing a unique name for every control but I do think it would add a lot to ease of use.

- I wasn't concerned about clicks and pops (didn't hear any in any case) because in use one would set up the delay and probably not want to change the settings in real time whilst recording. Maybe if using MIDI automation it may be an issue but I don't think that's likely.

Keep 'em coming mate. Always look forward to the next idea...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby BobF » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Bobs_LT1DelayRmPatch.fsm
(252.54 KiB) Downloaded 986 times

Bobs_LT1DelayPitchPatch.fsm
(237.71 KiB) Downloaded 1004 times

SORRY there was a problem with the delay. Re-uploaded.......

Hi Spogg and others,

The monitor knob will pan between the full input (clean signal) and the the full delayed signal.

It's 5 delays, kind of 5 X 5, 5 across for each tap and 5 down for 5 taps. Played with many from 2 to 10 and just stuck with 5.

Selectors with float zero, I really do not no for sure. They just would not switch right with out them ! HELP fixing it?

I change the settings all the time. For instance, if I hit the audio in/out to on, then hit a chord on my guitar, then click it off I get a pop or clicks. Again any HELP here?

YES, I know I will try to make some presets on the next revision, but was also hoping a lot of users would submit there own and also new and clever patches.

This brings to a question someone pm'ed on what are patches. They asked what are patches exactly. I have attached 2 examples then. There are probably hundreds of ideas here.... Put on your brain storming caps as my brother used to say.

Have fun, BobF.....
BobF

Postby tulamide » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Hey BobF,

let's make a deal: You add a preset manager so that we can save or even exchange our patches, and in return I will build a nice GUI for LT1. ;)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby BobF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Ok tulamide,

Give me sometime, I have never made one. Also I am a little confused. How would you make a preset for external patched modules. Is that possible. Think I need an example, ok? I thought presets only worked for completly enclosed modles. Anyway sounds like a deal if I can figure it out.

Later then, BobF.....

P.S, You need not say, how did yoy like it?
BobF

Postby tulamide » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:48 pm

BobF wrote:Ok tulamide,

Give me sometime, I have never made one. Also I am a little confused. How would you make a preset for external patched modules. Is that possible. Think I need an example, ok? I thought presets only worked for completly enclosed modles. Anyway sounds like a deal if I can figure it out.

Later then, BobF.....

P.S, You need not say, how did yoy like it?

I think there's a misunderstanding. I am talking about a preset manager for LT1, so that all settings for the tap pans, feedback, compressor and lfo can be saved (that's what I referred to as a patch, sorry for the wrong wording, should have said preset).

How did I like it? Well, I wouldn't offer working on a gui if I didn't like it ;)
There are still issues.
For example, several times it just went silent (I remember that one time it was probably caused by setting the LFO's depth and speed knobs fully clockwise). It is then difficult or even impossible to get it to work again.
Also, I noticed the pops and clicks you mentioned. They appeared suddenly, and only disappeared after stopping audio via your button several times. I can't see what caused them (volume was way under 0 dBFS, no infinite feedback loops, just normal delays).
What I miss is a control for the volume of each tap. And I don't understand what the monitoring does. I always hear the same, no matter that knob's setting.

But I like it especially for its musicality, due to the lfo. On drums this is very inspiring. With a preset manager I could also automate all settings which further would add to its musicality.
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Bob

Here is a simple implementation of click-free audio gating (if this is what you meant!).

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Click-free audio gating.fsm
(465.05 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
Spogg

Postby BobF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Hello tulamide, Spogg, and others,

Thank you for the suggestions, fixes, and offers. Playing with this last night looks like there is still a lot to do to get it really working cleaner and better. So my life away from FS ( grand kids, home, wife, etc) also takes a lot of time as you all know. Please give me some time to work out the bugs and so on and I will put up a LT2 hopefully in the near future.

BUT PLEASE, do keep posting bugs, fixes, modifications, and any other suggestions.

*** If you have NOT posted and have downloaded LT1, PLEASE add your comments here!
All the feedback I can get will make this project better. Many thanks to all of you.

P.S., Thanks Spogg, I will use your click free gate in LT2.

tulamide, there is a volume pot for each tap. Are they NOT working or do you want a different implementation of them?

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby tulamide » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:41 pm

I experienced them as pan knobs. Here's why: if I turn all of them fully counter-clockwise, I still hear all taps, but the stereo field sounds different.

So, if they are volume knobs I'd say they don't work, at least for me.
tulamide

Return to User Examples