Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Passing midi through the internet - First prototype

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Passing midi through the internet - First prototype

Postby kortezzzz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Midi is one of my favorite criterions in FS, that's not a secret. Every new midi tip, trick or tiny module that posted here is a little celebration for me. Inspired by the new midi remote controllers and mini pcs that already have been discussed here, I've said to my self "why not with FS"? I have no idea if such a project can actually work solidly with
all FS's limitations, but started looking for a solution that would be kinda a proof of a principal and a good starting point for future improvements by the Ruby sharks here (since you all know my coding skills issue :lol: ).

Lately, I've found a great schematic that posted by C.Hackl Jan about 2 years a go and started from there.
The results: It works! well, somehow... but, its a good starting point.

In this experimental schematic, there are 2 midi keyboards. One is "MASTER" and the other is a "SLAVE". The goal was making the master keyboard control the slave through the local net system. So, how it works?

1) Export each one of them as an independent exe. application.
2) Start both exe. files
3) Click on "start wi-fi" in the "master" exe. application
4) After your IP adress has been detected, copy into the "slave" application's edit box called "enter IP".
5) Press on "start wi-fi" in the slave application and that's it, both keyboards are synchronized through the local net
and the master controls the slave.

There are few issues here. Most of them are related to stuck notes (probably because of the ping timeouts) and disconnections. My question: How for god sake we come over them? Ruby people, please, pay a little attention here
:)
Attachments
(pass midi through wi-fi).fsm
(51.8 KiB) Downloaded 979 times
kortezzzz

Re: Passing midi through the internet - First prototype

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:27 am

Hi Kortezzz,

MIDI ... Oh ... this definitely catches my attention, and is the main reason I even looked into SM and now FS.

I'm not so much into DSP type of work. I've way to much respect for work done in this area.

I use MIDI as the basis for my 'controller' of other VST's through a single GUI interface [particularly NEBULA].

Within this same MIDI area of interest, I've several projects in mind that have been brewing in the background. The main limitation being my programming experience/knowledge, and whatever limits of FS.

I remember a 'communication' prtotcol was put together that afforded 2 FS apps to 'talk' to each other. I don't recall if it was TROG, MyCo, or other 'GURus' that exampled this. I just hoped that it might be of MIDI use.

Anyway ... will definately look into what you've posted .... and THANKS.
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:29 am

BTW ... initial testing this module directly within FS seems to be WORKING !!!

how cool is this 8-)
RJHollins

Postby kortezzzz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 pm

@ RJHollins ,

Seems like only 2 of us share the same interest in midi here. Me also not to much into DSP , because I can't see any significant future in DSP coding on this platform, without the rigid support from 64bit FS. Midi is different story; When we have the power of ruby in our corner on the one hand and the freedom from dependence on claiming system performance on the other hand, midi developments are FS's paradise criteria, both commercially and technologically.

That's why I prefer focusing on midi in these days and I believe that other people would realize that very soon.
Anyway, what we need now to step forward is a little help with that little ruby code related to the midi part of the schematic.This ruby code is not coded to pass midi signal and it needs a little modification. Once this part would be fixed, we would be able to progress into the real exciting stuff like building midi remote controller, virtual midi controller and so much more. Hope some more people would join our forces here. :)
kortezzzz

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:49 pm

@kortezzzz,

hopefully more will join on this. I'm with ya on the focus on MIDI applications.
Full respect to the DSP guys ... my experience/knowledge is rudimentary.

As a dabbler with RUBY, I'll try to experiment to see if I can eek something out.

I look at some of the code posted by those in the know, and they make it look almost easy ...
till I try to do it :roll:

Thanks
RJHollins

Return to User Examples