Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

RazorBlade osc question for Spogg and/or tulamide

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: RazorBlade osc question for Spogg and/or tulamide

Postby k brown » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:31 pm

I guess I just didn't see having a separate plug called 'RazorBlade FM', when the original already does FM; the only difference would be the availability of the SQ waves for the FM target (Osc3), rather than just the sine wave as it is now. Everything would function and look the same otherwise.

I would imagine it must puzzle some users that when one of the FM modes is selected, the sound doesn't change when Osc 3's wave is changed (something not pointed out in the user guide).
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am

k brown wrote:I thought the 'Piano' wave was a sample.

For Piano and other sample-based waves the higher pitched notes revert to single cycle waveforms. That’s clever, because it allows use of waveforms with a lowered bandwidth and thus avoids the worst aliasing. In effect it’s like a forerunner to FlowStone’s wavetable oscillators which reduce the bandwidth at higher frequencies.
In my case I’d originally loaded the wrong sawtooth. Saw2 is very bandwidth-limited and actually looks a lot like the “more aggressive sine.wav” and fortunately sounds pretty much the same at those higher pitches.
I remember when we first started to study the ROM, I was very impressed with the idea of changing to single cycle wavs at higher pitches. I don’t think I would ever have come up with that idea on my own.

Regarding your proposed FM changes I had an additional thought, namely all the presets in those 3 banks that Manfred made might need to be checked to ensure they still sound correctly. Also, if anyone has made their own presets they might be affected too.
Spogg

Postby k brown » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 am

Spogg wrote:Regarding your proposed FM changes I had an additional thought, namely all the presets in those 3 banks that Manfred made might need to be checked to ensure they still sound correctly. Also, if anyone has made their own presets they might be affected too.

Yeah, good point, though did he use FM in very many? If not it would only require re-saving those with the SQ wave select set to Sine.

But yeah, it would require a change in version number so people know something changed.

Pro'lly not worth it all.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:24 am

I’m glad you see it that way too. I didn’t want to dampen your enthusiasm for doing stuff though.

We have to be aware of what trogg called “feature creep” which is quite tricky to avoid I must admit. It seems there are always extra things we can add to extend flexibility, but it comes at a cost of increased complexity.
Spogg

Previous

Return to DSP