Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Is the in and out of this Float Array chain simultaneous?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Postby guyman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Using the array Float > Array > Array Preset > Array GetAt > Float

example:
Array pre.fsm
(655 Bytes) Downloaded 145 times

thank you

~THAT ONE GUY
guyman

Re: Is the in and out of this Float Array chain simultaneous

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:30 pm

since i guess this involves GREEN stuff, then let me take another guess:

all the GREEN stuff runs in a separate thread (GREEN thread), with a separate clock(unreliable jittery windows clock), thus at new clock impulse, all green stuff will be recalculated, and it will take some time to do so. the more complicated and elaborate that calculation is, the longer it will take.
Then when all green stuff is calculated, the GREEN thread stops and makes its results available for other threads to use (for example SM audiorate stream thread).

when that will happen, nobody can exactly tell - the GREEN stuff is very unrealiable for audio like timings, since in worst case it can vary very much noticeably. like you press a button, and one out of 30 times it takes a whole 100ms to register, instead of the usual 3.

use the green stuff only where timing is not important, and where it does not matter if the calculation has finished in 10 or 100ms
MichaelBenjamin

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 pm

short answer: no
long answer: yes, but unreliably delayed
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 pm

thanks
for this particular thing... I wasn't so concerned with accuracy, as so much as if i am running a float line from a nob thru that top array index, and with the presets at play, would it have any noticeable delay as opposed to the float line running from the knob to it's destination without going thru that chain...... it being a lil off is no biggie
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:47 pm

the more calculations you do inbetween the knob and the final input to the stream section, the longer it will take.
for example if every knob value changes triggers some 100000 array calculation all in green, before going into stream, it will naturally take much longer to update, but maybe i misunderstood something here.

better someone who can examine the posted fsm answer
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:59 pm

thanks for that... I think to be sure that it is moving in the most efficient manner, I'll have to get clever and make sure the float from the knob is getting to it's destination without it's trolly stop at the arrays.., and the array is updating independently..
and extract from arrays only when necessary...

maybe the last and my NOT LAST function I posted in user examples will help.. or ruby.

kudos
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 pm

afaik if you got an array which is updated by for example a avg100hz green triggergenerator, independent of knob movements, you can use a meminput now in newer versions of flowstone to feed the array data into a code box, and process it there with buffer size sample accuracy, so you could independently update the array and the knob primitive to the same stream code.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 pm

that's pretty cool. fl64 in a few weeks... 8-)
guyman

Return to General