Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Fixed variable storage

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Fixed variable storage

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

tulamide wrote:Later on the Atari 520 I already was using a function-driven basic (way ahead of its time, but forgot the name), but learned to save on RAM (using nibbles instead of bytes and bitmasks and such weird stuff) to realize a full-featured 3-track "Tracker", that used the in-built OSCs to create the sounds. 3 mono tracks of realtime processed sounds! Who would even spend a second on something like that today?
Heh. Anybody here old enough to recognize the phrase "line printer music"?

That was where you fed a block of punch-cards into a mainframe, and the printout made the chains in the line-printer 'ring' to make notes to play a song.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby trogluddite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 pm

deraudrl wrote:Heh. Anybody here old enough to recognize the phrase "line printer music"?

For anyone who hasn't encountered this before - feast your ears!... YouTube: Rocky's Printer - Eye of the Tiger on a dot matrix printer.

Back when I used to be a CNC machine programmer/operator, I quite often used to know that something wasn't right because the machine wasn't "singing" the tune that it was supposed to.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tulamide » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:06 am

trogluddite wrote:For anyone who hasn't encountered this before - feast your ears!... YouTube: Rocky's Printer - Eye of the Tiger on a dot matrix printer.
Don't you dare forgetting the greatest orchestra of all time - The Floppotron

Here performing "Beat it" by Michael Jackson, and if you think it will surrender to the famous guitar solo, you better listen to the whole thing!
https://youtu.be/6B522GbH3D8
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby deraudrl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:19 am

Then as now, geeks with too much time on their hands. 8-)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby deraudrl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:24 am

The very definition of "old school": http://www.righto.com/2019/09/risky-lin ... e-ibm.html

The IBM 1401 was the first computer I ever programmed, over 50 years ago (high school). They could also make music with it by "transmitting" direct to radio, but I never saw that: "Programmers also used the 1401 to generate music on an AM radio via RF interference. Running the right instruction sequence generated a particular tone. We hope to try this in the future." (from the link above)
deraudrl

Postby trogluddite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Thank you both, those had me grinning from ear to ear (and disappearing down the Google rabbit hole for a while - I'll wear out Wikipedia's "vintage computer gear" pages one of these days!)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Previous

Return to DSP