Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Music listening/mastering EQ

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Music listening/mastering EQ

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:16 am

Will do - one can do things in the analog realm that are not wise in digital.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

I could make a GUI like that if needed :)
lalalandsynth

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Well, I figured a direct imitation of the hardware knobs would be impractical because the markings are so tiny and fine. But something more silvery and modern would be a nice alternative.
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Here it is incorporating Martin's 'Cellino'. Also with a bit better GUI. I added Q switches for the two highest and lowest bands to switch between 0.5 and 0.75.
Viola_mv2.fsm
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 1302 times

Thanks SO much Dr. Philter! 8-)
Last edited by k brown on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
k brown

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:35 am

Very nice , one thing with the gui , the 12 and 6 db are still marked as 20 .
lalalandsynth

Postby k brown » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:29 am

Yeah, I know - it was just too much work to make number labels incremented for those. I justify this to myself (I'm easy to fool) by the fact that the Fletcher-Munson curves make it sound like there's that much boost/cut at those frequencies. Rather like actual weather temperatures vs 'feels like'. :geek: :roll:

This is not a 'technical/scientific' EQ - one just sets it for the sound you like; the numbers are just decoration.

Lets' see - what other cheezy excuse can I think of . . .
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Could somebody please buy the hardware and compare against the FS clone? I am curious whether we could sell the software product also for 6 k€. :mrgreen:
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Ha !!

Some further tweaks. To make lala happy, redid the legending to accurately reflect the actual boost/cut in dB. Made slight adjustments to a couple of Fr and boost/cut settings to more accurately reflect those of the Audio Palette.

There were two different Cello EQ products - the original Audio Palette, and a later, less expensive more consumer-oriented unit called the Palette Preamplifier. This had the usual features one would expect in a home HiFi preamp: standard InOut jacks, input selector switch, tape monitor facilities, etc. I realized Martin had used the specs for this unit, rather than the Audio Palette. The AP had the bottom band at 15 Hz, with boost/cut of 29dB, rather than 20 Hz @ +/- 20 dB; 120 Hz band was +/- 14.5 dB, rather than 12, and top band was +/- 24 dB, rather than 20. Though the AP's top band was @ 25 kHz, rather than 20, at Martin's suggestion, I left it at 20 because we don't want the kids playing too close to Mr. Nyquist's backyard!

Controls also given the correct number of steps.

Added a control that always surprised me was not included in the Palette. One of the few commercial products that had it was the Apt Holman preamp - a L-R / L+R control for adjusting the strength of the center of the soundstage. Many classical recordings were/are done with rediculously wide mic spacing, resulting in the dreaded 'hole-in-the-middle'. Conversely, many pop recordings have too much of the mix panned close to the center resulting in a narrow, congested soundstage. This control allows adjusting to personal taste. I've marked it simply 'Center +/-'. It's also great for 'pushing back' a centered pop vocal that's mixed too loud, or bringing forward one that's mixed too low.

Replaced schematic in previous post.
k brown

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:44 pm

martinvicanek wrote:Here is an emulation of the EQ part, according to the transfer curves in the first post. Kevin, please check thre transfer function of your Viola, I believe there is an issue with negative dB settings (cuts).

I know this is an older thread ...

but I wanted to check out Martin's Cellino eq version.

Problem is, when I try to make a VST, none of the GUI values are changing when adjusted.

I Exported as a standard VST ... can any check this ?

thanks
RJHollins

Previous

Return to User Examples