Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

3rd order IIR filter

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

3rd order IIR filter

Postby Rocko » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi,

I'd like to research a 3rd order LP and HP design, preferably as 'code' not 'assembly' so I can understand the logic.
Is there any such example ?
How can I calculate the coefficients for these cases? Most 'links' I find explain about bi-quads (2nd order) not 3rd order.

On the 'Dozius filter pack' I found a close example but it is coded as assembly.

Any 'blue code' example out there? (both LP and HP) ?

Rocko
Rocko

Re: 3rd order IIR filter

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey Roco, 3rd order IIR filters offer more degrees of freedom compared to biquads. You can decompose any 3rd order IIR filter into a first order IIR filter followed by a biquad. We have both 1st and 2nd order filter types covered at FS Guru, so you might want to take a look.

The coefficients will depend on the filter specifications. You may use the extra flexibility e.g to design a flat passband and a steep (18 dB/octave) rolloff. That would be a Butterworth filter, which is easy to design because the cutoff frequencies of all sections are equal. I have included a highpass and a lowpass in the schematic below (unoptimized, since you asked for readable code). Butterworth highpass/lowpass pairs of odd order are complementary, i.e. their outputs added yields an allpass.

Have fun!
Attachments
3rdOrderFilters.fsm
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 1237 times
martinvicanek

Return to DSP