Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Sound flying past the head (Please Help!)

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Sound flying past the head (Please Help!)

Postby DigiTonix » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:16 am

Spogg! Please, I need help in creating a plug-in, the sound of which flies past the head! ... I don `t know how to do it, but I really need help !, waiting for your comments, I will very happy if you can help!

I watched your Whiripin!, I really liked it, but I need a little bit different...
I think you should have!
Last edited by DigiTonix on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creative Technology for Bold Player's!
DigiTonix

Re: Sound flying past the head (Please Help!)

Postby Spogg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 am

Hi Anton

The one impossible aspect of 3D audio spacial location emulation is that it's different for every person due to the shape of the pinna (outer ear) and the sinus cavities in the head. Also the exact head and face shape have an influence. Our brains learn how to correlate subtle nuances in sound with physical location.
The closest you can get is to use in-ear binaural microphones (Roland make a set) or use a dummy head. If you play back a recording from your own ears it will sound better for you than anyone else.

I will see what I can come up with for a fly-past but I doubt it will be very convincing and it would only produce any effect on headphones.

Will your source be mono or stereo?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 am

Hi!!!
I think that the source could be any mono or stereo ... Let both be better at your discretion! I'll be happy to anyone
I do not crave a very realistic sound, but would very much like to have such a plugin, I think he does not need me alone.

Unfortunately, I am unable to write material with 3D microphone or the like, I hope for a plugin, you should get good ! :)
Perhaps it can be implemented as a signal rotation around each ear, I could be wrong, but I would like eksperements with you...
1.png
Head-1
1.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 17320 times

I think it would be difficult and fun!
DigiTonix

Postby Spogg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:04 am

The main issue with your diagram is that it requires front-rear movement and also elevation. Both of these are never convincing, whatever method is used.

I’ve recently auditioned all the plugins and audio material I can find and I’m never convinced by front-rear or elevation effects. The only way to achieve anything approaching this is with a HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) from your own head, and even then microphone response curves will significantly reduce the effectiveness of the result. For sound location brains are hard to fool!

My Whirlipan uses a psychoacoustic phenomenon whereby the left-right transitions alternate in frequency response and more, which the brain interprets as a rotation of the sound source. With some of the plugins I tested, where you can drag the virtual source around the head, it only sounded ok when I made a rotation and not at all convincing when I just went front to back.

Having said all this I’m having fun experimenting to find the best I can do. One of the beauties of Flowstone is it’s so easy to make configurations with delays, filters and so on and assess the results.
Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I do not even think that it's so hard !, but I was even more interesting !!!
I expect that your experimentation that will make it very "cool and scientific" :D ... What I have written, I understand very well, I've heard of HRTF, it seems some sound cards use it) ...

Rex, thank you for sharing experience and knowledge, really looking forward to that get you, look !!!
DigiTonix

Return to DSP